Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Telling



Storytelling...

It's so intriguing when done right, but you can't try to tell a story right...it just happens. It's like a perfect little snippet snap shot of reality. I dork out about story telling....

I think it is has to do with me not talking unless spoken to when I was living in South Carolina. I never really left the house, i had no way, and no one was ever at the farm. When people did show up it was just to drop off equipment and i could just point them in the right direction. literally point to the front ten acres, they would drop the equipment off and disappear down the driveway. at first it freaked me out. but then i became really accustom to the silence. i hated it when i would be asked a question at school, school consisting of 104 students k-12. no one wanted to talk to me. i was fine with that. i had spiky orange hair while they were covered in camouflage and called each other beau. ( i later realized it was a term of admiration, beau from dukes of hazard inspired) so i made a conscious effort. DON'T SPEAK. don't say a word if it is not absolutely necessary. And for six months, I barely spoke to anyone. I went an entire month without uttering a word. But i knew everyone....i heard everything they vocally published about their lives. i heard...i listened... i processed. and realized that everyone waits for their turn to speak, rather than listen.

So i have started collecting stories. I know BOOTOWN collects stories, This America Life, etc. but they collect the story for reinterpretation of the storytelling. I love that they do that! it is extremely interesting and worth checking out, but I want the story. I want to hear it... to get lost in it.... to understand who it is coming from... the source. i don't want the memesis of the story. i want to tell it but in someones ear... straight to them... have them listen... hear. process. pause. not wait for a chance to respond....but listen.

the conversational aspect broken for one moment.... the pause in a flow of back and forth...so

i'm textually babbling at the moment...i need more time to process what i am trying to say...maybe...

have a break before you read a really great story. caught the revival show last night... tom gabel, chuck ragan, tim barry...wow... i remember being 15 listening to hot water music and avail over and over again... laying on my bad tapping my feet on the wall. good times. enjoy.






well here is what i'm talking about....
i heard this story last night from a friend i haven't seen in a while.

reinterpreted because i did not have my recorder on me...
HEARD FROM A FRIEND AT A BAR:
So my bail bondsman in Tennessee was fucking nuts. When I was signing my papers he has this crazy bandage-hat thing over his head. He turns around to tell me “ i just had my third brain surgery, I think they put I rhinoceros brain in there, or something, cause I can’t remember shit.” Everyone else in the office is a little freaked out by this… and so am I, but everyone else is also laughing too BECAUSE I have to ride with the guy to the lawyers’ office, by myself. On the way to the car, he picks up a farrell cat. yeah, just picks it up. We were outside by the car; he reaches down with his hand grabs the cat by the head, not the nape of the neck. but the fucking head. opens the trunk and tosses it in there and slams it, barely missing its head...i think. You could hear the cat thumping around in there. He looks at me and says, “ I got 9 or 10 of them like that, I just throw them out there on my land, I got a bunch out in the middle of nowhere. We he gets there, they gonna rape him.”

OH BY THE WAY,FREE WARREN HATFIELD SHOW NOV. 25th, help him never have to see this bail bondsman again. It will be here at RUDz downstairs…


THIS WAS AN AMAZING STORY-storytelling ...experience. i feel it gets lost being textual published. but its such a great story i didn't want to lose it. so it has been digitally entered into the database.

No comments: