Sunday, November 9, 2008


Baggage ANYONE?!?!?!


Over the past few days I have been really thinking about an argument and a few conversations I have had over the past few months about identity art/artist/issues... yada yada yada....

Personally i am not sure if identity art is dead, people or just tired of it, or people concepts of identity are changing....

I remember last year I wanted to put together this performance group called the cultural baggage brigade...

I would consist of 5-6 members that create an interpretation through luggage, what they perceive to be their cultural baggage. Than proceed to go into into public places, preferably well crowded, and let their baggage fall apart and ask others to help but also not judge... its who they are. it is still in the thought process stage. I just had a strong visual of a young lady... okay me.... sitting at a bus stop, suitcase ajar.... spaghetti and tampons with dirty dishes and little toy trailers spilling out of the case onto the street.... screaming at some guy who is trying to help me:

" dont touch my things, these are my things, this is who i am suppose to be, i don't even know if i want these things...... "

The entire time getting covered in the spaghetti sauce, sifting through items i felt symbolized my "cultural, social, personal baggage"

I think I will start assembling the brigade soon... and more ideas of what i think the brigade should be...

In the mean time I am quite intrigued by this video...enjoy